Monday, August 8, 2011

Liza's Pineapple Pie

This may have to be my favorite pie now besides a warm apple pie with tillamook old-fashioned vanilla ice cream on the side. The first time I encountered this sweet pineapple pie was when my family and friends went to a beach house for the weekend in Belfair in May 2011. My boyfriend's mom made two pineapple pies for us and I ended up loving it!
Liza's Pineapple Pie
                                         
I went over to my boyfriend's house today and I made hot fudge pudding cake and she made her famous pineapple pies!!! I helped her make the pies!!! It's soo easy to make! She also ended up sharing her recipe with me and I wanted to share it with you guys!

Today is her birthday! Happy birthday, Liza!



Jawn's Mom Pineapple PIE!! 
Yields: One 9" Pie  ** Make double because it will go away fast!
Serves: 8-12
Time: 45 minutes + cooling time!


CRUST:
2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine
3 tablespoons shortening
5-6 tablespoons water

or you can buy the crust which will make this baking faster!

FILLING:
1 567 gram can crushed pineapple
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon lemon or kalamansi juice (kalamansi juice is really sour. It is a tropical lime and can be bought in the freezer aisle of your local asian store).
2 eggs, beaten
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
eggwash


Calamani/Kalamani Juice. It's a really sour tropical lime.
If you are using this for one pie, I would recommend just 1/2 a packet.


Preheat oven to 400F. Prepare one 9-inch plate.

Prepare Crust: (Skip if you bought your crust). Combine flour, salt and sugar in a bowl. Cut in butter and shortening with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add water, a tablespoon at a time, enough to form a ball of dough. Divide dough into 2, one slightly larger than the other. Roll out the bigger portion to fit the pie plate. Prick with a fork then pre-bake for 10 minutes.

Prepare Pineapple Filling: Put all ingredients except eggwash in a saucepan then bring to a boil while stirring constantly. Cook until thick. Let it cool.

Pour the filling over the pre-baked crust. Set aside. Roll out the remaining dough into 1/8 inch thick. Cut into 1/2-inch strips, long enough to cover the filling. Have a total of 10 long strips. Arrange the strips in a lattice design over the filling. Pinch the edges to the bottom crust. Brush with eggwash. Bake for about 20 minutes or until top is golden brown. Cool then chill.


PICTURE WILL BE UPDATED ONCE I MAKE THIS AGAIN!!!!!! I took the pictures with my phone!

Liza's Pineapple Pie

No comments:

Post a Comment