Thursday, September 8, 2011

"Better Than Sex" Cake w/ bananas


I often get a headache from sweet cakes and treats, but this cake was pure enjoyment. It's not a sugary treat. It is more like a creamy confection.  It just hits the spot I love the mix of vanilla pudding and the fresh bananas. Try this recipe out!

I had a roommate who often made this cake. Once we moved after nursing school, I was craving for this easy treat! I asked her for the recipe and added some things to it like bananas.
After I made the cake, it reminded me of a cake that my family use to order from Portland, OR for our birthdays, banana cake! One day, it closed and we could never find a bakery that made the similar cake. I think this recipe is just close to it! I'm happy that I added some fresh bananas to it!







Time: 1.5 hours + cooling
Yields: 24 slices or more.

Ingredients: 

Butter Yellow Cake
Vanilla
  • 1 box of Super Moist yellow butter cake from Better Crocker  Bake according to directions. I made a 9x13" cake and after baking sliced it in half horizontally to create a layered cake. Some people like to crumble the cake but I think it is a mess!
  • 1 small box of instant vanilla pudding from JELL-O. I made one side chocolate fudge pudding and the other vanilla. I prefer the vanilla pudding instead.  
  • 2 fresh bananas (Thinly sliced)
  •  1 tub of Cool Whip Whipped Topping from the freezer aisle  (I used Safeway low-fat brand. You also need to let it defrost for about 1-2 hours or up to 4    hours. I recommend defrosting overnight!)
  • Crushed butterfinger or heath chocolate bar (I found it to be cheaper to buy the fun-sized package for $1.50 instead of getting 2 regular size bars. I only used 4-5 fun-sized ones and kept the left overs for chocolate emergencies)




Directions:

  1. Bake Betty Crocker yellow cake mix according to package directions.
  2. Make instant vanilla pudding according to package directions and set aside in refrigerator to keep cold. 
  3. Let cake cool. Once cooled, cut the cake in half horizontally. I messed up a bit but it worked out in the end. 
  4. I took out a 9x13" glass pan and placed the first half of the cake on the bottom. 
  5. Spread on a layer of vanilla pudding (I didn't use the whole box).
  6. Add freshly sliced bananas on top of the pudding.
  7. Spread on a thin layer of whipped topping. 
  8. Place the other half of the cake on top. 
  9. Spread on whipped topping and garnish with crushed Butterfingers, or almonds, or Heath Bars (toffee crumbles). I topped mine with butterfingers and almonds. 
You're done!!!! 








No comments:

Post a Comment